IT management is the process of monitoring and administering an organization’s use of computers and other information systems which can include networked systems, the hardware that they are implemented with and the software that they run to provide user functionality as well as the employees that support these.
IT managers are tasked with monitoring and governing the systems that provide computing resources to ensure that they are available as required and provide necessary functions for business processes. IT departments are often headed by a Chief Information Officer who determines overall requirements and strategies to meet business goals. Their responsibilities can include the following:
• Ensure business requirements are being met.
• Managing budgets and costs.
• Monitoring compliance with regulatory and legal requirements.
• Ensure security of systems and data.
• Implement new hardware, software and technologies.
• Provide technical and user support.